Friday, August 28, 2009

Life in the Spirit

Galatians 5: 25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

I love this verse! In fact I just love all of Galatians chapter 5. It is all about the freedom we have in Christ! Wow what an encouragement and such a great reminder. Galatians chapter 5:16-26 discusses the life we receive in the Spirit. This is such a great promise that we have.. by living by the Spirit we are no longer slaves to the law or to gratify the sinful nature. Sinful nature and the Spirit are in a constant battle! But (vs. 18) if we are led by the Spirit, we are no longer under the law! Praise Jesus!

Things of the Holy Spirit have been on my mind recently because throughout this trip I have seen first hand the work of the Spirit. Yesterday we spent the first part of our day in the optometry clinic with our American friends. They had a good amount of help with translating but we were still a huge help to them as we helped pass out prescription glasses. I was really thirsty and decided to go into the kitchen to get a drink. In the kitchen was a woman dressed in long sleeve, pants, and an apron washing the dishes. I felt so bad for her cause it was so hot in there I just thought well the best I can do is chat with her a little bit. I started talking to her and of course she was curious why I was in the states, where I was from, etc. I told her I am from California and I am with my friend on a mission trip here. She asked what religion. I told her I am a Christian... (I'm still learning as God shows me that coincidences don't happen in the kingdom... that it is truly divine). She told me she was a Christian as well. She proceeded to tell me many things that the Lord has blessed her with in her life. I asked her if there was anything I could be praying for in her life. She told me her health. I figured we have been praying a lot of healing for people on this trip.. maybe she is ill. I asked her are you sick? She said no but I used to be. I asked her what she used to be sick with. She told me that the Lord had healed her from Diabetes! Praise Jesus! She no longer has diabetes!

Honestly, I truly know this was divine appointment. This was such a huge encouragement to hear this woman's testimony. Chels and I have prayed a lot of healing on this trip... we have not seen any miraculous signs but God is moving big time! I know it! I went on to pray for this woman. I did my same routine where I ask if it is okay if I pray in English because my Spanish is not too great. She of course said yes. I started praying.. and this was very interesting but I was praying in Spanish! Random words in english but random words in spanish. I recognized after that the words I spoke in spanish were important for her to hear to understand. I truly felt that the Spirit was speaking through me to her. After the prayer we shared some words, she was choked up and so excited to tell me that is going to be praying for me and Chels on this trip. This was a woman I wont ever forget and I thank God that set up such a divine appointment.

After the optometry clinic, we went into the community to teach the little ninos. After we were done teaching the kids, one of the moms wanted to take us on a tour of the community. We went to see her house and the rest of the community. In the midst of poverty is where we truly find joy. This seems like such a cliche statement. When we have a lot of "stuff" we will be happy right? Well, maybe.. But let me just say I saw more joy in the hearts and souls of the parents and kids of this community with no "stuff" than I have seen in a long time. I truly believe and as the Bible indicates, the Lord's heart breaks for the poor. God is amongst us all yes of course, I could just see His blatant fingerprints and sensed His presence all over that place. The joy that He places in the hearts of the ninos is so contagious. All I can say is Praise Him!

Laurie

1 comment:

  1. thank you for taking the time to keep us updated, Lord knows that im too lazy to blog. its weird how similar your experience in mexico is to mine in the dr. Dios es beuno!!

    ReplyDelete