Monday, August 17, 2009

God is good!

Hola Hermanos y Hermanas!

Today, I left mi corazon (heart) in a community we went to today! We went to drop off hand-me-down clothes, old toys and bedding (etc) at a church in a poorer community across the river. It never fails to shock me the gentle giving hearts of those who are less privileged than us Americans. I hardly sacrificed anything, and these people kept thanking us, calling us hermanas (sisters), wanted to pray over Laurie and I (ya...couldn't hold myself together during the prayer), as well as inviting us back to their church!! I was moved when they talked about how they wanted to help an even poorer community farther down the road (they said we were standing in a "middle class" community, but in all honesty I thought it was the ghetto of mexico). Its hard to put into words how my heart felt, so full of life I just wanted to hang out and speak spanglish with these beautiful people the rest of the evening! Not to say rich people cant do AWESOME things for Jesus too(God uses everyone)...but theres something special about people who are not only content with having almost nothing, but have the love of Jesus twinkling in their eye. To me, they are the hands and feet of Jesus, "whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me" Jesus said in Matthew. I wish everyone could experience what its like to give tangible things and receive so much more in return; I know if I could always remember what this feels like Id be much more content!

This morning we also got to volunteer at the hospital for the first time! I was in surgery today. It was difficult because the nurses I was with didnt speak any english at all. After saying "no entiendo" (I dont understand) and "no se" (I dont know) repeatedly all day....I started nodding like I understood what they were saying. haha I dont recommend this, because when you answer si/no for everything....even the questions requiring a real answer, you feel dumber in the end. I got to see two surgeries (inguinal hernia repair and removal of a knee tumor). A couple weeks ago I met a man at church who is a doctor, and both his sons are doctors. Today I saw him and he acted as though we had known each other our whole lives...then I got to watch all three of them do a surgery together! Love the people here! Im also excited to hang out with Lauries sweet nurse Euince...shes offered to show us some good grub around town tomorrow!! Im so thankful for this opportunity at the hospital, what an answer to prayer!!

Thanks for all the prayers, Im so blessed to serve such an amazing God! Our God is not a dead God, and he not only hears but answers prayer! :) Gloria a Dios!!!

In Love-
Chels

1 comment:

  1. God does answer prayer and what a wonderful time to volunteer at this hospital. It is always humbling to see others who have so little - give so much. I am jealous of you and the beauty of God's people that you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete